Friday, July 25, 2008

Love and War

So I meant to post this a week ago but it didn't happen.

A year ago last Saturday
By this point in our relationship it felt like I'd known Brett forever and LOVED spending time with him. In reality our first date had been about three weeks before, our first kiss two weeks and we'd made our relationship "official" a week before. We had talked about marriage but not as in marriage to each other just in general. A year ago Saturday I had both my best friends over for dinner along with their husband and fiance. I thought it kind of funny, Brit was married the November before, Kat was getting married the next month, and I had just started dating someone. It had been so much fun having them all over. Once they left Brett stayed. We went out into my parents front yard and sat in the hammock they put up every summer. As we were talking Brett said to me "How many really's before like before it's love?" I don't remember what I said but I do remember I wasn't freaked out, I thought it was really cheesy and cute, and that we started talking about the definition of love in the bible. And then conversation continued to something else. Eventually he decided he should probably head home. He stood up first from the hammock and then helped me us. Once I stood up he hugged me and wipsered "I love you" into my ear. It makes me break into a grin remembering it. I of course said "I love you" in reply and it's been love ever since and I can't seem to tell him enough.

A year ago last Sunday and Monday
A year ago Sunday and Monday it was Friday and Saturday. We had a very fun weekend planned. Brett's parents had invited us to Bar J Wrangler's for dinner and a show. Saturday we wanted to hike table rock. We convinced Sarah and Mark to camp Friday night and the hike Table Rock with us. On the way to Victor (we met Brett's parents there and drove to Bar J together) we stopped and bought pop, Zingers, and Cracker Jacks. My pop must have had caffeine in it and I got very very hyper. This was the first time Brett ever saw me hyper (not many people ever see my really hyper, only friends from high school and Brett have ever really seen me off the wall) and while he is now he was not used to it. When I'm hyper I get a little crazy and can be a little mischievous. Well on that drive to Victor I put a cracker jack in Brett's Pepsi and may have a shook it up a little... okay maybe a lot. He did not think it was funny at all and got pretty mad at me and asked me to calm down. Oh and I sure calmed down. I didn't talk pretty much to rest of the car ride. And there you go our first fight, or close enough to it.
Bar J's was a lot of fun and the food was delicious. The last few days my mom had been saying she wanted to meet his parents and to invite them over for a Sunday dinner. My family usually always had big Sunday dinners and we'd always bring friends over so it wasn't that big of a deal to invite them. I had mentioned it to Brett and he thought it sounded fun. So when Brett's dad was asking about my dad's church calling and when he gets home Brett and I both remembered about inviting them to dinner. So I did. I said "Oh I was wondering if you guys would like to come over to my parents house for Sunday dinner next week." His dad replied "Is there a reason we should meet your parents?" Both mine and Brett's jaw hit the floor. I kept opening my mouth to say something but had nothing to say. Finally after the most awkward silence I've ever been a part of his dad said Yeah sure. What time do you eat dinner. I said "Usually around 5:00." And to make my feeling stupid and my embarrassment he replied "Well that's not dinner that is supper." And then explained how dinner is the same as lunch. (I'm still not used to that.) I was about ready to jump out of the car and walk the rest of the way down the Jackson Pass to avoid anymore humiliation. I still don't know how I showed my face around his parents ever again. (Also keep in mind I was still pretty darn scared of his dad at this time.) Afterward Brett apologized and said he should have talked to them about it himself.
Finally the car ride ended and Brett and I headed toward Table Rock to meet up with my siblings to camp and hike.

2 comments:

Kerianna said...

I remember hearing this story!!! And it still makes me smile. How cute your husband is.

Mattsmom said...

AWWWE, That is so cute! The first "I Love you" is so memorable!

I still remember how FREAKED out I was around Dad Marshall...for about the first two YEARS! Until one day he borrowed MY sandals to go outside...it wasn't until then that I realized that he is SUCH a goof ball! Now he is about one of my FAVORITE people ever!

I am glad they didn't run you out of town! Cause I think you are great!