Wednesday, July 16, 2008

WEBELOS

Brett and I are the Webelos leaders for our stake. For those of you who don't know Webelos are the 10 year old cub scouts. (Usually webelos are 10 and 11 years old but the LDS church does it a little different.) When we were first asked to do this I almost wanted to say no. Little boys are scary to me! My only experience with scouts was when my mom was a den mom when I was young and I would go with her. We've been doing it about 2 1/2 months now and I've actually enjoyed it. It was sad though because within a month our numbers had been cut in half because of birthdays and kids moving. So now it's not quite as fun but still fun. The little boys are old enough to listen and follow directions but still young enough to be very excitable. They all love talking. For every two words Brett or I get in they have 5 stories to tell. Every story starts out on topic but by then finish their story I'm thinking "This had nothing to do with what we're talking about!" Last week I questioned if I should still be a webelos leader or not. Most of you have heard this story but I figure it is still blog worthy
Last week Brett and I were very good procrastinators and didn't figure out what we were going to do till about 10 minutes before leaving for the church. All the boys LOVE talking so we decided to work on their communicator pin. This had three requirements 1) write a letter 2) tell a story and 3) draw a poster. Not that difficult! We started with letters. One little boy... we'll call him Ned... always has something to say, something to talk about. He could not come up with someone to write to or anything to write. The other boys were almost done by the time he finally started working on his. Then we had each little boy get up on stage and tell a very short story. Ned did not want to go. Every boy took his turn and then Brett and I even took turns and Ned still had nothing. All he was doing was rub his pencil over his forehead. We kept trying to get him to go finally when I was about to tell him he didn't have to he said "Okay I'll go." I didn't hear what he said because I was trying to get another boy to sit down. Next thing I heard was Brett saying "We aren't slave drivers are we?" That caught my attention so I head Ned reply "Okay not you, just her." (I was the only her there but he still emphasized his point by pointing at me.) My knight and shining armour and a scout shirt (aka Brett) defended my honor saying "She's not a slave driver." Ned said "Okay not a slave driver... Evil!" Again Brett said "She isn't evil." Ned finally settled on "Okay... She's scary!" Brett gave up defending me at this point. So now I know I'm a scary, evil, slave driver so you had all better watch out! (Oh and once we were drawing posters Ned was happy to participate and didn't want to stop when his mom picked him up)

0 comments: