Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The greatest people!

Happy Birthday Mom & Dad!
Today Is my parents birthday. Yes both of them have the same birthday. They are the greatest parents I ever could have asked for.
My dad is a pretty laid back guy. There is nothing more he loves than a bargain. Growing up I would run errands with my dad. We'd always go to D.I. I would stay in the car because I thought D.I. smelled awful (still kind of do). We'd also go to Target and Sam's club, they both always had clearance sections. Both stores had a route we'd follow to check all the good clearance items. We'd also go to Shopko alot because they lots of things free on rebate. We also went to a few other stores but those were the regulars. At that age it was agreed that anything I wanted I had to pay half for. I also got an allowance which my father allowed me to take advances on. I'm pretty sure I still get a $4 allowance I just took so many advances the money still goes straight back to him. In the car we'd always listen to You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon (I think) and Life's Been Good by Joe Walsh. In the previous song dad would also do a whistling solo because I can't whistle. I'd always hold his hand walking into stores. As I got older dad would say I never hold his hand anymore walking into Target. So even now I try to hold his hand when we go somewhere together.
I didn't become as close with my mom until all my other brother's and sister's were out of my house. My freshman year of high school was still at our Jr. High and it was a total breeze for me. I skipped so many days of school that year. The attendence lady never believed me when I was out of town with my mom but it was the truth. About once a week Targhee would just get too much snow to resist so mom and I would ditch school and work and go skiing. That same winter I also got on ski patrol so I spent a lot of time with mom at first aid classes. I have so many memories of chair lift rides and car rides like getting pulled over by a cop, eating cheesecake from a ziploc bag on the chair lift, and amazing powder days. We would always listen to all sorts of music but that winter I learned who Janis Joplin was and have loved her music ever since. Singing along to Mercedes Benz or Bobby McGee takes me back to that winter with my mom.
My parents are just amazing because they aren't just the people who raised me and took care of me they are my friends and I know that their love for me is eternal and unconditional. Thanks mom and dad and have a very Happy Birthday.

0 comments: