Thursday, July 24, 2008

Rodeo, Camp and $3 Groceries

The last week has been fairly uneventful. While things have happened I've been planning on blogging they haven't been exciting enough to actually sit down and do it.

Last weekend was the only weekend in July we planned on being in Utah (more on that later) and whenever we stay in Utah I feel like we have to do something really fun. So last weekend we decided to go to the Days of '47 Rodeo. This is our second rodeo this summer the first was up in Herriman. It was a ton of fun but no one else around us was cheering and all gave me a weird look whenever I did. Well this latest rodeo was at the Energy Solutions Arena. It was kind of expensive for a rodeo so we were hesitant to go but it was payday so we felt rich and decided to go. It was really weird being at a rodeo inside. I was really surprised at how few people were there. There were tons of empty seats and again not very many people were cheering. I think Utah, at least Salt Lake area, doesn't know what good fun is. I thought the rodeo was great! They had a lot of good animals and pretty good riders.

Saturday Brett and I ventured down to Ikea and I made my first ever purchase there. I actually bought a couple things. So we were in the kitchen utensil section. This is a bad area to be in because just about everything would be useful but not exactly necessary to own. Well they had woks on display with a wok cook book. Sucker Margaret decided she wanted the wok and the cook book so we bought it. Immediately after getting in the car and unwrapping it I thought, Why did I buy this, I don't need this (mostly toward to cook book. We've actually already used the wok). I've been kicking my self for the waste of money ever since. And I feel like I can't return it because it was my own darn fault I bought it. So if any of you ever want to look through a wok cook book it's our new coffee table book, although we don't actually have a coffee table.

Last weekend was Brett's weekend cooking. (Not that he was assigned to cook he just made supper Sat. and Sun.) Saturday he made really delicious wonderful stir fry in our new wok and Sunday he made really amazing elk roast, gravy, and mashed potatoes (we finally bought a potatoe masher at Ikea).

Monday and Tuesday was webelo's camp up at camp Tracy in Milcreek Canyon. The boys never seemed very excited about anything we were doing but I think did have an okay time. We boated, shot BB Guns (Brett loved that one), archery, hiked, swam among other things.

Monday night Brett and I went grocery shopping and only spent $3 on groceries for the week! Normally I spend around $70 about $50 if I try really hard. But this week was kind of working toward me. We were only planning on being in town till Thursday night so we only needed three more days of food. I had also bought some groceries last week for meals I didn't end up making. I already had the ingredients for Fajitas and Pizza and just figured left overs for the third dinner. That meant I only needed some basics... milk, eggs, bread (on sale for a dollar a loaf) fruit (apples are wicked expensive), vegetables, and a few other things. Our bill came to $28 (still good for groceries) I used my Smith's student discount card with brought our bill down to $23. Then I had just gotten a $20 gift card from Smith's for transferring a prescription to their pharmacy... Thus our groceries came to $3 which we paid for in cash. Only problem is we decided to not leave town and I'm trying to come up with meals I can make using the things we already have so I don't have to spend more.

1 comments:

Mattsmom said...

WOW! You are My HERO! Three bucks! That is just a dollar a day! I need lessons for real! It seems like whenever I get groceries...even if I am only getting basics like those...I spend over $50 easy!