Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Homesick

Every time the seasons change I get homesick. Not even so much homesick and the-past-sick. I remember what i was doing when the weather was like that a 1 year, 2 years, ect. ago. Now that summer is officially started the missing of times gone by has started. I love driving to the bus stop in the morning. It's light out but the sun is not up yet but the moon is still (atleast this morning). There is very little traffic so it doesn't feel like i live in the city. It's cool out but not cold and not hot. The sky is gray-blue with pinks and purples on the horizon announcing the coming on the sun and the hustle and bustle of the day. This is such a peaceful time of day that so many people miss out on. Here are some of my memories of this time of day.

I barely remember this one. I mostly remember it because of a picture in my photo album. When i little we had a sandbox in our back yard. When i was probably 2-3 three years old it was on our back porch. It might have rained the night before or maybe it was just wet because of due by my sister sarah and i went out onto the back porch in our jammies and played in the sand. I remember sarah squeezing the sand through her hand creating spires of sand. I was probably still quite sleepy and instead of keeping the sand in the box got it all over my hands and then started scratching my head. The sand accessory looked great with my morning hair.

When i was in high school (junior to be exact) my family went on a cruise in the Caribbean. Each morning the sun would come and and blase into our sliding glass door. ( we got a room with a balcony SO COOL!) This would wake me up every morning. Instead of rolling over i would get up and go up and get a small breakfast and sit and watch the sun rise. Not much beats watching the sun come up over an endless expanse of water. Usually i was one of the few on the deck (i think all the other people were still up from the night before) and i could just listen to the water. (this was me on cruise but not early in the morning obviously)

Last summer was quite the summer. I had just finished my first year of college and had gotten an internship locally. The first month of the summer i wasn't working yet so i usually slept in till eight ish and then would go running with my mom. My favorite day was the day we got so hot that we ran past our house jumped in the canal and floated back home. One of my other favorite days was over July 4th weekend. We were at my family's cabin and my mom and i ran to the other side of the outlet that our cabin is on and then swam back across the water to our cabin. (we made my dad canoe across to get our shoes and stuff). But both these memories digress from my these for this blog. Once i started working i wanted to keep running the the morning. So i would get up around 4:15 (oddly even earlier than i get up now but then i did it by choice) and my mom and i would go running till5, 5:20 ish. Most mornings we left in the dark and got home in the light. This is what i remember everyday as i drive to work. Running with my mom, watching the sun rise behind mountains while surrounded by fields. I love being an adult and living on my own. I especially love being married but sometimes i wish i could go back to last summer, live with my parents and go running with my mom every morning.

This was not last summer but it is my house. This was taken with my new camera on my last day of high school. The shadow is of me and my mom.


This is my whole family on my eighteenth birthday.


0 comments: