Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Where were you?

Do you remember when you were in grade school history learning about the moments in history that shaped who we are today? Do you remember going home and talking about what you learned with your parents? Were you flabbergasted when you parent said to you, 'I remember where I was when Kennedy was shot, or Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, or the iron curtain fell.' Do your grandparents remember black Tuesday? What about the first day of the 20th century?

When I was a kid I never thought I'd have anything to say 'I remember the day that...' about. And then I got older and not only did more historical events take place but I also realized the significance of things I had already lived through (mind you when I say lived through I mean watched on the news.)

I remember coming home from buying a tea set from the ZCMI toy store to find mom telling us to watch the news. At the time I did not know why I had to sit and watch a white bronco being followed by cop cars but the story lasted for years after as OJ Simpson continually popped (pops) up in the news.

I remember sitting in my first grade class listening about how Oklahoma City had been bombed.

Within weeks of the beginning of school I was sitting in my first period 8th grade science class when my best friend and next door neighbor came in asking me if I heard what happened. The rest of the day was spent watching buildings burning, people panicking, and heroes falling as the twin towers fell.

I remember where I was the last four LDS apostles and the current Prophet, Thomas S Monson, were called and sustained and remember watching the funeral procession of Gordon B Hinkley (the only prophet I had really known my entire life).

And then of course today being the day it is.. Where were you today when the first black president was sworn into office? Because though it seems odd to think of just another Tuesday as historical that is what it is. 3oo years ago we were a colony of great britian, 200 years ago we had fought for our freedom from britian but still enslaved the blacks that were thought to be inferior, 100 years ago another war had been fought and although slavery was abolished blacks were still oppressed and considered 2nd class citizens. 50 years ago the fight for equality was just begining. And today, regardless of who we voteded for, regardless of how his presidency turns out we are a triumphant nation for overcoming the injustices of our past.

And now I ask you where were you when the world changed? Our country changed? Your own life changed momumentally? What are the moments that shape the being you've become today?

2 comments:

Zina said...

That's gorgeous. Tuesday was a great day, wasn't it?

Mattsmom said...

Yes, an important day indeed. Reading this post I was reminded of where I was at those same moments and what I was doing. I was sick the day that the Oklahoma City building was bombed. I watched the news all day long with my Mom. On Sept 11 I was living in Moscow and my room mate woke me up that morning to tell me what had happened. I remember wanting to talk to my family that day.