Monday, August 18, 2008

Fated by Fire Sauce

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY KATRINA AND BEN!!!

So a year ago Saturday one of my best friends from high school and her high school sweetheart were married. It was such a beautiful wedding. She paid me the honor of being one of her bridesmaids along with our other closest female friends. It was my one opportunity to 'walk down the aisle' since I got married in the temple. The entire evening was gorgeous and beautiful. By the end of the night I was drunk and full off of chocolate fountain. Once everyone had left we filled punch cups with chocolate and drank to our hearts content. Whenever I hear Big & Rich Lost in This Moment it reminds me of that perfect summer evening. (I got married in the dead of winter... sometimes I want to do the whole thing over just so I can have a summer wedding too. YES of course same groom!) Brett came by for a few minutes during the reception but had a softball game that night so left pretty soon after he came. Following the reception I went to the park and watch the last few minutes of Brett's game. After the game we went to what used to be A&W. I don't know how I possibly wanted food after all the reception food, not to mention left over rehearsal dinner food from the night before, I scarfed down. The evening ended with parking... haha... sort of. The purpose of this parking was not to make out it was to watch the a storm roll through. The lightning was beautiful. While sitting there, watching the lighting strike and feeling the thunder reverberate through Brett's truck, we talked about the future of our relationship. We'd talked over options before then but this magical night Brett said he would move to Utah for me. Happy doesn't begin to describe how I felt. His next question was so, um... do you think we should be married when I move down. After briefly remembering how much I enjoyed kissing him, and already knowing I wanted to marry him, I answered Yeah that would be best. So we flipped open his phone and brought up the ever handy cell phone calender. We quickly decided on the six month anniversary of our first date, Dec. 29 as the day. Now thinking back I guess I became engaged at this point but I was stubborn and wanted the ring before I let myself believe it. It took 2+ months for the ring to actually land on my finger. Does this night actually count as our engagement. Did Brett really propose by saying "So, um, do you think we should be married?"? Well its my life so no I'm not counting this as the proposal.
The following evening was to be my last before moving to Utah for school. Brett's brother and his wife were having a BBQ at their house. We went and had a grand old time. I remember whoever brought the brownies failed to cook them all the way and they were amazing. After the BBQ we were driving back towards Brett's house when I saw a Taco Bell billboard. I still don't know how but I hungered for a cheesy gordido crunch. (Really I don't remember what I got/craved.) To this day I'm truly perplexed how I was always so hungry those days. So I forced Brett to drive the 20 minutes into town, to buy me taco bell, and then we drove the 20 minutes back to his house. Where we parked ... this time 90% of the time we were eating or talking I promise... on the bank of the canal that runs by his house. As I was getting ready to scarf down my fourth meal of the day I offered Brett some firesauce and began happily masticating my food. Brett interrupted my taco bell bliss with a simple "Yes". As always with the height of prim and proper poise I replied, I'm sure with cheese hanging from my mouth, "Huh??" He repeated himself a little more forceful, "Yes!". Finally, utterly confused, I say "What are you talking about? Yes what?" He then returned the packet of firesauce I had just handed him. The quote fatefully read
"Will you
marry me?"
I do not recall what happened next. I'm sure laughter, some cheesy kisses (haha total pun intended) ensued. Although I still don't count this evening as our official engagement I still claim I proposed first.

0 comments: