Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Empathy that comes through experience

Usually I try to keep posts light and fluffly but sometimes life gets serious.

As most of you know my wonderful husband was diagnosed, went into surgery for, had radiation for, and became free of cancer between October and December of last year. It was an amazing growing experience. Is that a requirement? That the first years of marriage aren't enough of a growing experience but you have to be tested even more? I think that Brett and I took it in stride. We managed to maintain optimism (which was easier considering it more easily treated type of cancer) and laugh through the hole thing. From crying in front of my boss, studying for a P.Chem test through CAT scans, nausea in a hospital waiting room, to ringing a bell of triumph at the final radiation treatment every moment was a moment of growth and learning. While one of the most valuable things was growing close with Brett something more was attained that I never realized the value of. Empathy. I'm a cry baby. I actually got it from my dad. And while I managed to not cry much during the 'ordeal' I find myself easily moved to tears during little things like an episode of everybody loves Raymond or extreme makeover home edition where people, real or fictional, are touched by cancer or illness. To know the feeling of worry that can so easily take over, to know the fret 'of what more can I do I feel for these people'. I barely kept the tears from brimming over when, as a cub scout pack, we visited primary children hospital. I still can barely fathom the pain of seeing your child in pain and suffering. Mow, I try to not express my religious beliefs here because they are sacred to me, however I cannot touch on this without realizing that this is why our Savior and Older Brother had to suffer and feel the pains of all man kind, so that he can empathize and therefor succor each of us.

I'm sure Brett would prefer to have a part of his body back, I however find the gains of the experience invaluable (okay maybe they have a set value... they are called medical bills).

(I also guess this would be a good time to let everyone know what Brett just had his 3 month check up and everything looks good.)

Just because I can't have an entire serious post.... Can I just say I love the show "The Joy of Painting'. I'm pretty sure that's the name of it. It's the guy with the Afro that paints happy trees and serious trees and all sorts of personified trees. I find his show very relaxing. (Oh yeah and I don't paint)

6 comments:

Caroline said...

I can't tell you how impressed I have been with you through this whole cancer episode. You stayed so strong the entire time. I know that I would have been a wreak. I can handle most anything that happens to me, but when it happens to the ones I love the most (Sean, June, and my baby boy) I tend to break down. I bawl at even the thought of one of my babies being seriously hurt or in pain. You are one strong woman, and an example to me.

Oh, on a side note, I hear you and Brett have been playing a little softball. That's what I like to hear - keep ot up!!!

Katie M. said...

I am so glad to hear Brett is still cancer free. You two are so amazingly strong. We hope to see you soon!

Zina said...

Wish I could have been there for you, Margaret, but as usual you are unstoppable. And you and Brett together are super, doubly unstoppable. Like if Superman had a thing for Batman. No, that's gross. Like if the Pheonix had a thing for Professor X. Yeah. Anyways, I love Aphro Bob. My favorite part is when he tells me what is in the trees. Maybe a little raccoon, maybe a little family of raccoons, just beneath the cheerful clouds.

Mattsmom said...

Bob Ross is AWESOME, and so are his happy little trees.

I too have so much respect for you. When you introduced his three month check up I had a moment of fear that it was bad news, and instant relief when I finished the sentence.

antimony said...

Since I could never mention it enough: I love you and think the world of you!!

-S

Amber M said...

You guys are so strong. Remember the Lord never will put you through something you can't handle (I know cliche but easy to forget). Brett's thing shook us all in a way that we will never forget. I am glad the check up went well! We miss you guys. Ally talks about you all the time. Warm up that arm for softball... yeh yeh!